The International Solar Alliance (ISA) was conceived as a coalition of solar-resource-rich countries (which lie either completely or partly between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn) to address their special energy needs. The ISA will provide a dedicated platform for cooperation among solar-resource-rich countries, through which the global community, including governments, bilateral and multilateral organizations, corporates, industry, and other stakeholders, can contribute to help achieve the common goal of increasing the use and quality of solar energy in meeting energy needs of prospective ISA member countries in a safe, convenient, affordable, equitable and sustainable manner.
ISA has been conceived as be an action-oriented, member-driven, collaborative platform for increased deployment of solar energy technologies to enhance energy security and sustainable development, and to improve access to energy in developing member countries. The ISA has 122 sun-belt countries that lie between the two tropics as its prospective member countries and currently boasts a membership of 86 countries globally.
ISA will not duplicate or replicate the efforts that others (like International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Partnership (REEEP), International Energy Agency (IEA), Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century (REN21), United Nations bodies, bilateral organizations etc.) are currently engaged in, but will establish networks and develop synergies with them and supplement their efforts in a sustainable and focused manner.
As guided by the Framework Agreement of the ISA, the interests and objectives of the ISA are as follows:
- To collectively address key common challenges to scale up solar energy applications in line with their needs;
- To mobilize investments of more than USD 1000 billion by 2030;
- To take coordinated action through programmes and activities launched on a voluntary basis, aimed at better harmonization, aggregation of demand, risk and resources, for promoting solar finance, solar technologies, innovation, R&D, capacity building etc.;
- Reduce the cost of finance to increase investments in solar energy in member countries by promoting innovative financial mechanisms and mobilizing finance from Institutions;
- Scale up applications of solar technologies in member countries, and
- Facilitate collaborative research and development (R&D) activities in solar energy technologies among member countries.
- Promote a common cyber platform for networking, cooperation and exchange of ideas among member countries;
The Journey of the ISA (2015 - 2016)
ISA launched in Paris, France and Paris Declaration on ISA announced
First International Steering Committee (ISC) meeting of ISA in Paris, France
Second ISC meeting held in Abu Dhabi, UAE
Foundation stone of the ISA Headquarter laid at NISE, Gwalpahari, Gurugram, National Capital Region of Delhi
Third ISC meeting held in New York, USA
- Ministerial event on ISA in UN Headquarters New York, USA
- Joint declaration on ﬁnance and agricultural applications launched
Joint declaration with the World Bank
Fourth ISC meeting held in New Delhi, India
ISA Framework Agreement opened for signature
Joint declarationwith Climate Parliament in Marrakesh, Morocco
The Journey of the ISA (2017 - 2018)
Meeting with Resident Diplomatic Missions of ISA Countries in New Delhi
Launch of ISA third programme Scaling Solar Minigrids in Gandhinagar
Fifth ISC meeting held in New Delhi, India
Joint declaration with the European Bank Investment Bank (EIB)
Third ISC meeting held in New York, USA
ISA Participated in COP 23, Bonn, Germany
The ISA Framework Agreement enters into force
The International Solar Alliance registered (No. 54949) with the United Nations under Article 102 of the UN Charter
Sixth ISC meeting held in New Delhi, India
Joint Declaration with NDB, ADB, AFDB, AIIB, GCF, IEA.
- Founding Conference of ISA
- Joint Declaration with IRENA
- 2 nd NFP Conclave organized
Signing of Headquarters agreement with, GOI
ISA participated in World Environment Day 2018
Gazette of India notiﬁcation on application of UN (privileges and immunities) Act, 1947 to representatives and ofﬁcers of ISA.
Joint Declaration with the EU Commission MoU with GOGLA
The Journey of the ISA (2019 - 2020)
ISA Expert Mission to Uganda, Mali, Togo, Benin.
20 ISA fellowships of mid-career professionals started in IIT, Delhi
Solar Cooling project launched in partnership with NCDC and Birmingham University
ISA Expert Mission to Niger
ADB signed a TA for US $ 2 million for 4 years to develop projects in 6 Member countries;
ISA Expert Mission to Malawi
ISA Expert Mission to DR Congo
ISA Expert Mission to Senegal, Guinea
2nd Assembly of the ISA
ISA participated in World Economic Forum, Davos